We wanted to point out some changes and highlight some issues that travelers have encountered.
On October 15, 2020 the State of Hawaii’s pre-travel testing program began, which has allowed thousands of travelers (both visitors and residents) to bypass the mandatory 14 day quarantine. The key to this program is that one must take a State approved Covid-19 test from one of the State’s ‘trusted partners’ within 72 hours of traveling. To date, if the results were not ready in time for travel, the traveler (and all in their party) would have to quarantine until the results were ready and accepted by the Safe Travels program.
1. CHANGE: All test results must be received prior to arriving in Hawaii.
Starting November 24 travelers must have their test results PRIOR to starting the last leg of their trip. Without the results in hand (or uploaded to the State’s Safe Travel App), the traveler (and those in their party) will be subject to the mandatory 14 day quarantine, regardless if the results arrive post-arrival. For much more information, here is the link to the Governor’s press release. https://governor.hawaii.gov/newsroom/hawaii-covid-19-joint-information-center-daily-news-digest-nov-19-2020/
2. As before, the Counties determine what are approved quarantine vacation rentals. We recommend assuring your vacation rental is on your county’s approved list for 14 day quarantines if your guests will be subject to a quarantine and also having your guests send you a copy of their negative test results prior to arrival to protect you from any penalties.
3. There now is a STATE-WIDE MASK MANDATE. Masks must be worn in public unless you are able to socially distance from others by more than 6 feet. The penalty is a misdemeanor charge with a fine of up to $5000 or one year in jail. https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/11/16/governor-plans-issue-single-statewide-mask-mandate-aimed-clarifying-rules/
4. PRE-TRAVEL TESTING OPTIONS FOR CANADIANS to begin mid-December. After adding Japanese pre-travel testing options a few weeks ago, the State has now announced pre-travel testing options for Canadians. Canadian airlines, WestJet and Air Canada, will be offering the pre-travel testing. In yesterday’s press release they both said they’d have more information on their websites in the coming days. The State is currently in talks with South Korea and Taiwan to offer pre-testing there. https://governor.hawaii.gov/newsroom/hawaii-covid-19-joint-information-center-daily-news-digest-nov-19-2020/
Please tell your guests that their COVID TESTING FACILITY MUST BE APPROVED by the State of Hawaii. There have been a number of guests who have not followed the guidelines of getting a test done at an approved testing facility – the guest will be required to quarantine or take a flight back home immediately.
We suggest that you advise your guests of the following info:
- Sign up for Hawaii Safe Travel, the site is https://travel.hawaii.gov/#/
- The guest must have a negative Covid 19 test taken no more than 72 hours before your flight’s departure time AND the guest must have the results before the last leg of travel. If they have a multicity flight itinerary, the departure time is from the last city you leave before arriving at a Hawai‘i airport (e.g. if your travel is from Chicago to Seattle to Honolulu, the departure time to look at is your flight from Seattle).
- The test must be done by an Approved Partner with Hawaii – Please make a reservation with the testing facility ASAP (we understand that they can be a long wait for appointments to get tested.)
- Check the State of Hawaii Covid Travel website https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel/ (note to date the website has not been updated to reflect yesterday’s change in test result policy) and check it regularly for any updates and changes.
Thank you for your continued support. It’s been a trying year for all of us.
Rental By Owners Awareness Association